Tuesday 10 May 2011
I confess this is probably my favorite part of framebuilding; where I get to play around with the lugs and make them look right.
I started by quickly filing and sanding the casting roughness from the derailleur tab and STI cable bosses. There wasn't any real modification done to these, save to file the loveheart cutout on the STI bosses into a rounded triangle, so that it matches the other lug cutouts I plan for the frame.
Next I removed the rack mounts from the dropouts, and cut some small triangles into them. As with the other stainless parts, much of the casting roughness has been files off and I've hit them with some emery. Once they're on the chainstays, I'll do some more serious sanding and polishing.
Finally I went to work on the lower head lug. I first cut a triangular cutout in the tang, and then removed the cast-in STI bosses. They looked a little full then, so I cut more triangles in where the STI bosses had been, and rounded the sides a little. I'm quite happy with the look now.
Next step is to replicate the cutouts and shaping on the upper head lug, and then decide what I want to do with the seat lug.