Monday, 29 August 2011
More progress on Keith's frame
I've made good progress on Keith's roadie. Having mitred all the main tubes, I added bidon cage mounts, front derailleur tab and rear brake cable tunnel. Then I brazed both seat tube and down tube into the bottom bracket, and the lower head lug. I used System 48 for the BB, and 56% silver for the stainless head lug.
Here's the whole thing on the jig:
The BB after brazing. This is the first time I've brazed both down and seat tubes in the one go - it prevents reflow of the seat tube join when I add the down tube later, as I'd done previously. In any case, I'm really happy with the result - I got the filler to flow really evenly without much encouragement.
Here's the lower head lug, immediately after brazing while it still looks awful. The filler just shot straight through this lug. This is my first stainless head lug, and I'm really happy with it.
Same join, after some cleanup with emery and green scotchbrite pad. Next step is to give the lug a nice polish.
After a quick polish (hah!) it looks pretty good:
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment