In any case, now I'm back to the mast proper. For those who don't remember (I barely do myself) I'm doing a modified birdsmouth construction, with a sail track, in Jarrah and Tasmanian Oak. Neither of these are traditional spar making timbers, on account of their density, but I figure I can get good performance by pushing the boundaries of the traditional birdsmouth technique, and thinning out the walls some. Plus, Jarrah and Tasmanian Oak are pretty-much indestructible.
Here's a photo of my prototype piece, that I did a while ago. It's mainly condtructed from 30mm x 12mm staves.
I think I've come up with a workable solution. Davey do chainplates with the eye at 90 degrees, intended for mounting on the stem at the bottom of the bobstay, or else on the gunnel for bobsprit shrouds, shown below:
The whole assembly bolts through the mast with a single 5/16 bolt (actually I'll use 5/16 bronze threaded rod with acorn nuts on either end.
My fingers are a mess after beating on those straps.
Essentially I built this by laminating thick Jarrah planks on to 6mm ply, then hacking at the Jarrah to thin it out to ~6mm. When working on the boat originally I threw a quick coat of unthickened epoxy on to protect it, and went on to other bits.
So that’s how it’s sat for rather a while. Now that the decks are painted out it’s time to varnish it. Unfortunately it’s gone and cracked while sitting. So before varnishing I fed some unthickened epoxy into the cracks to fill them, then sanded the whole lot back to timber before applying another couple of coats of epoxy with the roller.
This is what it looks like after a couple of coats of epoxy. I’m confident the cracks won’t be a problem (after all, they’re only a veneer, so it’s still completely watertight), and it looks okay, cracks and all.
And here's what it looks like after sanding back the epoxy and adding two coats of lacquer, thinned out with Penetrol. I'll sand out the gloss before adding another couple of coats.
I've made a 60mm dia round bowsprit (more pirate-like), which doesn't really lend itself to just bolting down. Here it is being held on Elena in the approximately correct position by my extremely patient husband:
Back to the topic at hand though, I thought a heel socket and gammon iron were the way to go, something like:
So I thought perhaps combining some bronze straps over Jarrah bases was perhaps the right go. I could even angle things so the screws through the deck and into the king plank are angled, making them really hard to pull out...